Healthy peanut butter twix / millionaire shortbread bars 😍🍫👌🏼
Even though these don’t look the neatest, they taste UNREAL – I bet you won’t be able to stop eating them! They are a homemade healthier version of twixs / millionaire shortbreads that are naturally sweetened, vegan and gluten free 👏🏼😋
There’s a layer of almond flour shortbread, a peanut butter caramel middle and a dark chocolate topping – I mean what could be better??? 😅😅
Everything you need to make them is below ⬇️
For the shortbread base:
• 1 ½ cups ground almonds
• 3 tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon little_pod vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the peanut butter layer:
• ⅔ cup drippy natural peanut butter (I used skinnyfoodco)
• 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
• 1/4 cup coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the chocolate layer:
• 3/4 cup chocolate chips, dairy free if desired (I used dirtycowchocolate)
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 (160 fan) and line a 8×8 square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl add all the base ingredients and mix together with a fork until it forms a nice thick crumb texture. Add to pan and use your fingers to evenly press down into the pan. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool for 10 mins.
3. Add the peanut butter caramel ingredients to a medium pot and place over medium-low heat until caramel starts to slightly bubble, stirring frequently. Pour over slightly cooled crust.
4. Place in fridge for 1/2 hours until set.
5. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl then pour over caramel layer and tilt pan to evenly distribute the chocolate.
6. Place in fridge for 1 hour or until set.
7. Remove bars from pan and cut into 16 bars. Keep in the fridge and enjoy!