Healthy banana chocolate chunk muffins 😍🧁🍌🍫
These easy-to-make, healthy banana muffins are made with wholesome ingredients and dark chocolate chunks. The perfect way to use up overripe bananas 🙌🏼👌🏼
I used ohso_goodforyou 70% dark chocolate – this has over a billion live cultures with no added sugar 👍🏼👍🏼
Everything you need to make these muffins are below ⬇️
• 3 ripe bananas, mashed
• 1/4 cup sweetener of your choice, (coconut sugar, maple syrup, agave)
• 1/3 cup neutral oil, (coconut oil (melted and cooled), grapeseed oil, avocado oil)
• 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs, room temperature
• 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• 2 tbsp funktionalfoods vanilla protein (optional)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup ohso_goodforyou dark chocolate chips, (or chopped dark chocolate)
1. In a bowl, add bananas, sweetener, oil, milk, vanilla extract and eggs. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
2. Add the flour, protein powder (if using), baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until *just* combined. Do not over mix or you risk them coming out too dense. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the mixture rest for at least 1 hour. If you want to get those pretty domes, do not skip this step.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Divide batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin, filling each muffin cup almost to the top.
6. Place the muffin tin in the oven and immediately turn down the heat to 350 degrees F. The initial high heat activates the leaveners (baking soda/powder) to create those pretty domed muffins.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes then serve!