Craving these healthy twix / millionaire shortbread bars 😍🍫👌🏼
These are a delicious, homemade and healthier version of twixs / millionaire shortbreads that are naturally sweetened, vegan and gluten free 👏🏼😋
There’s a layer of almond flour shortbread, an almond butter caramel middle and a dark chocolate topping – I mean what could be better??? 😅😅
Everything you need to make them is below ⬇️
For the shortbread base:
• 2 cups ground almonds
• 2 tablespoons coconut flour
• 1/3 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon little_pod vanilla extract
For the almond butter layer:
• 1/2 cup almond butter
• 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
• 1/3 cup coconut oil, liquid
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the chocolate layer:
• 3/4 cup chocolate chips, dairy free if desired (I used ohso_goodforyou)
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 (160 fan) and line a 8×8 square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl add all the base ingredients and mix together with a fork until it forms a nice thick crumb texture. Add to pan and use your fingers to evenly press down into the pan. Bake for 11-13 minutes and allow to cool while preparing the next layer.
3. Add the almond butter layer ingredients to a medium pot and place over medium-low heat until caramel starts to slightly bubble, stirring frequently. Pour over slightly cooled crust.
4. Place in fridge for 1/2 hours until set.
5. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl then pour over caramel layer and tilt pan to evenly distribute the chocolate.
6. Place in fridge for 1 hour or until set.
7. Remove bars from pan and cut into 16 bars. Keep in the fridge and enjoy!